Minutes of the Regular Meeting
Board of Directors
Vinton-Shellsburg Community Schools
November 6, 2017
Call to Order
President Rob Levis called the regular meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. in the Shellsburg Elementary Music Room.
Roll Call / Pledge of Allegiance
Sue Gates, Kathy Van Steenhuyse, Jason Hicok, Rob Levis, Mike Timmermans,Kyle Schminke,
Mary Jo Hainstock, Superintendent, and Brenda Barkdoll Board Secretary/Treasurer were present with the exception of Brenda Bartz.
Receive Visitor/Audience Comments
Randi Walker requested her daughter be allowed to attend Union through open enrollment.
Matt Kingsbury provided an update and overview of our Career Technical Education Program.
Tony Islas shared attendance initiatives and statistics for the beginning of the year.
Matt Kingsbury invited board members to attend Veterans’ Day Program on Friday and Fall Musical Program over the weekend.
Superintendent Hainstock reported on open enrollment requests, School Board Association Convention, enrollment, December board meeting on the 11th at 5:15 p.m., the calendar, fall musical and thanked those in attendance and board members for their support over the last few weeks.
Kathy Van Steenhuyse attended the public speakers’ speeches at the city hall and thought it was very interesting. She will also attend the legislative update in Coralville on Tuesday, November 21st.
General Business of the Board
701. It was moved by Hicok and seconded by Gates to pull the open enrollment request out as a separate item. Motion carried 6/0.
702. It was moved by Van Steenhuyse and seconded by Timmermans to accept the consent items as presented. Motion carried 6/0.
703. It was moved by Gates and seconded by Hicok to approve Grace Walker’s open enrollment request. Motion carried on a roll call vote 4/1 with Levis abstaining and no vote from Schminke.
SBRC Application for Allowable Growth
704. It was moved by Schminke and seconded by Timmermans to approve the application for allowable
growth including additional authority for increases in the number of students who are open enrolled out,
served for more than 5 years in our ELL program and newly enrolled students for $56,023.50, $1,466.08,
and $63,308 for a total of $120,797.58. Motion carried 6/0.
Early Retirement for Part-Time
The board has directed the business manager and superintendent to develop options for the board
to consider for rewarding part-time employees.
Resolution Approving Interfund Loands for 2017-18
705. It was moved by Schminke and seconded by Timmermans to present a resolution and move for its
adoption that allows the district to use interfund loans up to $500,000. Motion carried 6/0 on a roll call vote.
Brenda Barkdoll gave an overview of the financial reports that are included in each month’s board
First Reading of the Board Policy 900 Series School District – Community Relations
Directors Gates, Hicok and Van Steenhuyse reviewed the policy and gave some suggestions. The
second reading is scheduled for next month.
706. It was moved by Gates and seconded by Schminke to accept the auditors’ report for fiscal year 2017. Motion carried 6/0.
Proclamation for American Education Week
707. It was moved by Van Steenhuyse and seconded by Hicok to proclaim November 13-17, 2017 as
American Education Week. Motion carried 6/0.
Audience comments on any of the preceding items
Faith Brown thanked the board for approving the open enrollment out request.
Ø Vinton-Shellsburg Certified Enrollment for 2017-18
Ø IASB: Graduation Intentions for the Class of 2016 (As Reported to the Dept. of Education)
Ø Clicktop and Junior Achievement to Partner to Inspire, Empower, and Prepare Vinton-Shellsburg Students
Ø Thank you from “Playing for a Cure”
Rob Levis adjourned the meeting at 7:37 p.m.
Rob Levis, President Brenda Barkdoll, Secretary