Click to view the SUMMARY OF BILLS- for May 2017
Minutes of the Regular Meeting Board of Directors
Vinton-Shellsburg Community Schools
May 08, 2017
Call to Order
President Sue Gates called the regular meeting to order at 5:15 p.m. at the Central Office Board Room.
Roll Call / Pledge of Allegiance
Sue Gates, Rob Levis, Kathy Van Steenhuyse, Mike Timmermans, Brenda Bartz, Mary Jo Hainstock, Superintendent, and Brenda Barkdoll, Business Manager/Board Secretary/Treasurer were present with the exception of Kyle Schminke and Jason Hicok.
Receive Visitor/Public Comments
There were no visitor/public comments at this time.
FFA Officers updated the board on their work towards meeting their goals.
Kim Meyer and the instructional coaches shared an overview of their work from this year that is part of the Teacher Leadership and Compensation program funded through the state.
Ryan Davis and Eric Dickenson provided an overview of how the district and the city could partner to have a School Resource Officer. The board directed the superintendent to put this on the agenda for June.
Superintendent Hainstock reported on Tilford HVAC update, Iowa Assessments, CTE and PSEO changes, Open Enrollment applications, School Board Recognition month, scheduled Board meeting dates in June and July, and reviewed the calendar.
There were no board reports/requests at this time.
General Business of the Board
649. It was moved by Levis and seconded by Bartz to accept the consent items as presented. Motion
650. It was moved by Levis and seconded by Van Steenhuyse to approve the recommendations from the insurance committee as amended. Motion carried 5/0.
651. It was moved by Bartz and seconded by Timmermans to approve the contract with Mercer effective
July 1, 2017. Motion carried 5/0.
Elementary Attendance Center Assignments
652. It was moved by Bartz and seconded by Timmermans to require kindergarten students to attend the attendance center in which area they live. Motion carried 5/0.
School Board Election Information
653. It was moved by Timmermans and seconded by Bartz to request the auditor to have the polls open starting at noon-8 p.m. for the September school board election and have things publicized in the Cedar Valley Times. The Motion carried 5/0.
Second Reading of Board Policy 905.1 Facility Use
654. It was moved by Van Steenhuyse and seconded by Levis to adopt the changes to board policy 905.1. Motion carried 5/0.
Authority to Extend Personnel Contracts
655. It was moved by Van Steenhuyse and seconded by Levis to authorize the superintendent to issue
Contracts on behalf of the district to new staff between now and the September meeting. Motion carried 5/0.
Authority to Process Bills
656. It was moved by Timmermans and seconded by Bartz to authorize the business manager the authority to process bills without prior board approval between now and the September meeting. Motion carried 5/0.
Superintendent Hainstock gave an update on the recent Iowa Legislature information.
Move into Exempt Session to Discuss Negotiation Strategies as allowed by Iowa Code 20.9
657. It was moved by Levis and seconded by Van Steenhuyse to enter into exempt session at 7:33 p.m. to discuss negotiation strategies as allowed by Iowa Code 20.9. Motion carried 5/0.
By consensus, the board moved out of exempt session at 7:51 p.m.
Approve Settlement Conditions for Employees Not Covered by a Collective Bargaining Unit.
658. It was moved by Timmermans and seconded by Bartz to approve the settlement conditions for support staff as presented and approve the increases for substitute and part-time staff as presented. Motion carried 3/0 with Levis and Gates obstaining.
Audience Comments on any of the Preceding Items
There were no audience comments on any of the preceding items.
Iowa Assessment Results
Dental Program service at Shellsburg Elementary
659. It was moved by Bartz and seconded by Van Steenhuyse to adjourn the meeting at 8:01 p.m.
Sue Gates, President Brenda Barkdoll, Secretary